Asha Saxena talks with Adam Kiefer, Director of TEAM VR (Training Enhancement and Analysis of Movement Virtual Reality) Laboratory at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, about the emerging use of Artificial Intelligence in sports medicine.
Deep learning is rapidly becoming an indispensable data tool in the world of sports. Deep Learning, a subset of AI focused on recognition and reinforcement learning, is being used in athletics to gather valuable information that can be used by medical experts to better understand sport-related injuries and develop new therapies. Deep Learning applications are being trained on large sets of data and then used to derive strategic insights into areas such as player capability, team tactics and injury management.
AI can be used in sports medicine for treating injuries, but more importantly it is an emerging technology in the effort to predict and prevent injuries altogether. Learn more on today’s podcast.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why Adam Kiefer is the “go-to” person to speak with about AI and machine learning in medicine
- Why concussions are difficult injuries for physicians to understand, predict, and personalize treatment
- Why analyzing real-time data sets is challenging for physicians and how machine learning and virtual reality can help
- How machine learning and VR overlap to assist in treatment and rehabilitation of injured athletes
- How Adam’s hospital has made strides in developing their AI and machine learning program in the past 18-24 months
- How the Virtual Reality Laboratory has worked to assist Cincinnati Children’s hospital improve the treatment and prevention of injury
- How Augmented Reality has become a crucial tool in simulations that allow very detailed data to be collected
- What lessons Adam and his team have learned from integrating machine learning and VR into their research work
- Why Adam is excited about the potential that Augmented Reality and machine learning have to advance the personalization of care
- Adam’s advice for people who are interested in the role of machine learning and VR in data analytics
Ways to contact Adam:
- Twitter: @awkiefer
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/adamwkiefer